MahaShiv Ratri 2022: Rituals & Mantras
- The food must be light, pure, and sattvic in nature.
- On this day, you may include milk, ghee, yogurt, vegetables, and fruits. You can also include potatoes, honey, ginger, and dates. Potatoes and dates will help you remain grounded while you do your spiritual practices as fasting is just the first step (and very important) of Mahashivratri rituals. You can also include nuts and seeds in your Upavasa meal on this day.
Simple Mantras of Lord Shiva
- You can read Shiva Sahasranamam.
- Chant Aum Om Namah Shivay for 108 /1008 / 1080 times. Om Namah Shivay is a Panchakshar stotra. If 1008 times is not possible, then you can chant it as per your own capacity.
- Reading Shiva Purana on this day is also very auspicious on this day.
- Chant Rudrashtakam (this can be as per your own capacity). You can also listen to Rudrashtakam.
- You can also recite the Eight names of Lord Shiva
- Om Ishanaya Namah
- Om Mahadevay Namah
- Om Rudraya Namah
- Om Sharvaya Namah'
- Om Bhimaya Namah
- Om Ugraya Namah
- Om Pashupataye Namah
Simple Rituals of Mahashivratri
- Worship the Shivlinga- Besides fasting and mantra chanting, worshiping the shivling is another important and effective ritual of Mahashivratri. If you have a Shivlinga at home then you can worship that, or you may also go to the nearby Shiva temple.
- If you have the Shivlinga in your house, then place the ling on the brass or copper plate.
- First begin by offering water to the linga. According to Atharva Veda, water is the first door to attain the divine order.
- Milk is sattvic and has purifying qualities. So after offering the water, you may then start with offering milk. The milk must be raw and preferably cow's milk.
- After offering the milk, offer some water again to cleanse the linga.
- After milk and water, you may then offer curd, ghee, and honey. These can be offered either in the form of a mixture or can be offered individually as well.
- After offering ghee, honey and curd- again offer water to the linga and cleanse it.
- Then wipe the ling with the fresh cloth and offer attar (perfume or fragrance), chandan, bhasma, bhang, datura (you can offer both the fruit and flowers) and bilva leaves. Bilva leaves are Lord Shiva's favorite- so you may offer either 21 or 108 bilva leaves. But again, do not be downhearted. It's absolutely not essential to have 21 or 108 bilva leaves- if you do it with the correct 'bhava', even one bilva leaf is enough to please Lord Shiva.
- In the end, offer rice, black gingerly seeds, lotus leaves, barley, wheat, sunflowers, pomegranate, fried foods, various vegetable dishes, black gram, green gram, 7 cereals, flowers of Shankhpushpi, sweet dishes, and cooked rice.
- Offering these things have special significance on Mahashivratri, but what is more crucial is your concentration, purity, and surrender towards lord Shiva. So while you perform your offering rituals, constantly recite Om Namah Shivay in your heart and mind. It's the incessant chanting and total surrender that is enough to please this Lord of endless power.
- In the very end, light a ghee lamp and perform the aarti.
- Avoid offering turmeric and vermillion to lord Shiva (on Mahashivratri as well as otherwise).
- Jalandhar was the demon king and Tulsi was his wife. Jalandhar was killed and Tulsi was created by Lord Vishnu. Angry, Tulsi cursed Lord Vishnu that he would turn into a stone. Lord Shiva blessed Tulsi that she will be the Queen of the Trees and will reside in Vaikunth to be with Vishnu. Tulsi later got transformed into the Gandaki River but is not used while worshiping Lord Shiva in any of His rituals.
- Avoid offering broken rice to Lord Shiva.
Gemstones to Bring You Luck, Success and Wealth in Life
Maha Shivratri: Know the Origin, Significance & Rituals
Identify the Colour of your Aura!
5 Ways to Awaken Your Psychic Powers: Open Your Inner Mind
How the Benefits of Sun transiting in Aries impacts your Zodiac Sign?
Get your free personalised Vedic Kundli report now
Join over 5 lakh + Vedic Rishi members
Know How Your Year is Going to be with Our Personalized Varshphal Report
Join over 5 lakh + Vedic Rishi members
Get Your Queries Answered by Our Principal Astrologer
Ask your question now